Baked Strawberry Glazed Cake Donuts
A sweet and fruity baked donut with pink glaze and loaded with fruit!
Spring is one of my favorite times of the year! I love when I get to start thinking about sweet spring recipes and incorporating more of the berry and lemon flavors. Yum!
These glazed strawberry donuts are perfect for brunch at home, a lazy Sunday morning breakfast, or even a special treat for Mother's day. They are baked instead of fried and loaded with fruit and a sweet prink glaze! I also use dehydrated strawberry powder in my donuts to enhance the color and flavor.
I don't like using red food coloring, and this is an easy and practical alternative!
If you are planning on going strawberry picking in a few months like I am, keep this recipe in our back pocket! It's a great way to use up your fresh fruit.
I hope you love these delicious baked donuts! They are so fun to make and will fill your kitchen with a sweet strawberry aroma and get you in the mood for spring. Mmmmm.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 donuts
1/4 c olive oil
1/2 c buttermilk*
3/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c fresh strawberries (very ripe)
1/4 c finely crushed dehydrated strawberries**
Pink Glaze Ingredients:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp milk (I used 1%)
2 tsp finely crushed dehydrated strawberries
2 tsp seedless strawberry jam
*See ingredient swaps
**See recipe notes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the olive oil, buttermilk, eggs, sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla, and nutmeg. Mix well with a spatula until batter is smooth.
3. Add in the all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Mix well until batter is smooth and there are no lumps remaining.
4. Dice the fresh strawberries into small pieces. In a small mixing bowl, crush them a bit with a fork until you can see the juices. Add the crushed strawberries to the batter.
5. Add the dehydrated strawberries powder to the batter. Make sure there are no large chunks and the strawberries are crushed into a fine powder. Mix well, until the powder is incorporated into the batter. The batter will be a light pink color.
6. Prepare your donut pans. Spray each pan well with cooking spray.
7. Pour the batter into the donut pans. Fill each ring with batter, leaving just a little room at the top.
8. Bake donuts in the oven for 15 to 17 minutes. Donuts will be slightly firm and a light golden brown. Be careful not to over bake!
9. Let donuts cool for 10 minutes before placing onto a wire cooling rack. Ice the donuts when cooled, about 10 more minutes.
To make Strawberry Glaze:
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well, using a spatula, until icing is smooth.
Frost each donut with icing. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Serving size: 1 donut
Calories: 188 kcal ● Fat: 6g ● Protein: 3g ● Carbohydrates: 43g
You can swap out your AP flour for whole wheat flour if you'd like to make your donuts a bit more nutrient-dense!
If you don't have buttermilk, you can add 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice to skim or 1% milk. Let sit for 10 minutes before using.
I purchased my donut pans from Amazon. You can purchase the ones that I have here. They are inexpensive, have tons of 5-star reviews, and they work great!
I purchased my dehydrated strawberries from Amazon. Check out the product I used here.
You can also purchase dehydrated strawberries in a powder to save time!
Be sure to use very ripe fresh strawberries to enhance the flavor and color of you donuts!
An MM Wellness Original Recipe