Blueberry-Lemon Cottage Cheese Protein Pancakes
Switching up your typical weekend breakfast routine.
Cottage cheese is trending! It's a fun alternative to Greek yogurt and is so versatile--it can be sweet OR savory! That's why it's the perfect addition to pancakes, and not to mention it's packed with protein and calcium.
Say goodbye to your boring and expensive pancake box mix with this recipe! These blueberry-lemon cottage cheese pancakes are an easy and delicious breakfast that provide a ton of nutrients. They are a great source of heart-healthy whole grains, protein, and fruit! These fluffy and fruity pancakes are simple and don't require a ton of special ingredients, and are a perfect way to start your morning.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6-8 pancakes
3/4 c milk (I use skim, you can use your milk of choice!)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c cottage cheese
1 large egg
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp honey (you can also use sugar or other sweetener)
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c fresh blueberries (frozen works too!)
1. Whisk milk and baking soda together in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add cottage cheese, egg, lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, honey, vanilla, and melted butter. Mix well.
3. Whisk in flour and lemon juice until moistened. Batter will be lumpy with cottage cheese.
4. Using a spatula, fold in the blueberries.
5. Coat a large griddle or skillet with cooking spray. Heat on stovetop over medium heat.
6. Drop batter by large spoonfuls onto griddle. Cook on one side until batter begins to form bubbles, about 3-4 minutes. Carefully flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until browned. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately with fresh fruit and syrup.
Serving size: 1 pancake
Calories: 161 kcal ● Fat: 8g ● Protein: 6g ● Carbohydrates: 17g
All-purpose flour works just as well if you don't have whole wheat flour!
If you don't like cottage cheese, ricotta cheese works great with this recipe too. 1/2 c cottage cheese can be swapped for 1/2 cup ricotta.
Turn on your warming drawer or set your oven on warm. As pancakes finish cooking, place them in warming oven on a baking sheet until you are finished cooking. This will keep your pancakes warm until you're ready to eat!
An MM Wellness Original Recipe