Loaded Chicken Salad Jars
A delicious, nutrient-packed on-the-go lunch!
I love a good chicken salad! Especially on a sandwich--yum. With a busy schedule, it can be hard to find time to prepare your lunches. It's also difficult to make a sandwich ahead of time when it comes to chicken salad because the bread can definitely get soggy after a few hours! Here is my simple solution--chicken salad mason jars.
If you enjoy chicken salad and quick, easy, and convenient meals you can prep ahead of time--this one is for you! I "load up" the chicken salad in the jar to add extra nutrients, protein, and of course, flavor.
Tip: Pick and choose the ingredients you like. Switch it up from jar to jar, it will taste like a different salad every time!
Makes ~6 servings
Base Salad Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-size pieces
3-4 stalks fresh celery
3/4 c chopped pecans
1 to 1 1/2 c red/green grapes
3/4 c lite mayonnaise
3/4 c lite sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (I use Greek yogurt from extra protein)
Fresh juice of 1 lemon
1-2 Tbsp brown sugar (it depends how sweet you like your dressing)
1/2 tsp dill
3/4 tsp dried chopped onion or onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine the base salad ingredients in a large bowl.
2. In another bowl, combine dressing ingredients and mix well.
3. Pour the dressing over the salad. It may be helpful to add a little bit at a time and mix. Depending on your preference, you may not want to add all of the dressing!
4. Divide your chicken salad into 6 mason jars. I used pint-sized jars. It is easier to use wide-mouth. *Note: if you want to add a lot of toppings to your salad, I suggest using larger jars--either 24 or 32oz.
5. Add your optional ingredients in layers over the chicken salad. See below for topping ideas.
Optional Toppings to Make a "Loaded" Chicken Salad:
Chopped salad greens
Diced red onions
Diced tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
An MM Wellness Original Recipe